A walk down memory lane – Part 1: The ’60s
14 September 2018 0 Comments
This is an overview of what moved me, impressed me, touched me during the 60’s.
Some of this will only make sense when you’re Dutch 🙂
- Besides being the year I was born, 1961 was also the year in which President Kennedy promised to start manned missions to the moon.
- Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin was the first man in space!
- Alan Shepard was the second man in space!
- Eastern Germany starts to build the Wall.
- The Orient Express made its last tour.
- Amnesty International was founded.
- Unimate, the first robotic arms was commissioned.
- President Kennedy launches the program for manned missions to the moon!
- Cuban missile crisis bringing us all too close to nuclear disaster.
- NASA Ranger IV crashes on the moon.
- NASA launched Mariner 2.
- European Space Agency launched.
- The Beatles are declined by DECCA.
- USA detonates a hydrogen bomb 320 km over the Johnson atoll, causing a massive opening in the ionosphere.
- Nelson Mandela arrested.
- President Kennedy “Ich bin ein Berliner”.
- President Kennedy assassinated.
- NASA lost contact with Mariner 2 after successfully observing Venus.
- US – Soviet Union Hot Line introduced.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “I have a dream”.
- First Touch Tone phones.
- North Sea frozen several days during an extremely cold winter.
- Skating dominance era by Ard Schenk and Kees Verkerk starts.
- Valentina Teresjkova was the first woman in space!
- Phillips introduces the Compact Cassette and Player.
- War in Vietnam escalates further.
- NASA launches Mariner 4 spacecraft on a mission to explore Mars.
- Ford Mustang is introduced.
- Nelson Mandela sentenced to life imprisonment.
- BASIC programming language introduced.
- IBM introduces System/360.
- China detonates its first nuclear bomb.
- Sony introduces the VCR.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. arrested for eating in a “whites only” restaurant.
- PLO founded.
- ABN launched.
- UN mission to Cyprus starts.
- War in Vietnam continues to escalate.
- NASA launches Ranger 8 Moon Mission which takes pictures of the Moon before crashing.
- First New Year’s dive in Scheveningen.
- European Community founded.
- Moore’s Law introduced.
- NASA launches Gemini 4, and Edward White performs the first space walk!
- Princess Beatrix engaged to Claus von Amsberg.
- NASA launches Gemini 5 which breaks the manned mission record by staying in space for almost 8 days!
- Manneke Pis stolen.
- Queen Juliana opens the Zeelandbrug, with 5022 meters the longest bridge in Europe.
- Death-toll continues to increase in the Vietnam war, mainly among civilians.
- Startrek first episode broadcasted.
- NASA’s Gemini 8 mission aborted after successfully docking in space.
- NASA’s Gemini 10 sets multiple records!
- USSR’s LUNA 10 orbits the moon.
- NASA’s Lunar Orbiter 1 orbits the moon.
- USSR’s Luna 9 lands on the moon!
- NASA’s Surveyor 1 lands on the moon!
- Princess Beatrix marries Prince Claus von Amsberg.
- Queen Juliana opens the Coentunnel.
- Johan Cruijff plays his first game for Oranje.
- The war in Vietnam continues, death-toll escalates further.
- 6 day / Yom Kippur War in Israel.
- NASA’s Lunar Orbiter 3 mission orbits the moon and takes hundreds of pictures.
- UK and Ireland apply for EEC membership.
- China detonates its first hydrogen bomb.
- NASA’s Apollo 1 capsule catches fire, killing all 3 astronauts.
- USSR’s Soyuz crashes after its first manned space mission, killing cosmonaut Vladimir Komarov.
- Prince WIllem-Alexander is born.
- The War in Vietnam continuous, high civilian death-toll caused by Tet-offensive and My Lai.
- Vietnam peace negotiations start in Paris.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr assassinated.
- Robert Kennedy assassinated.
- Intel Corporation launched.
- France becomes a nuclear power.
- Prague Spring started and crushed.
- Kees Verkerk wins Gold in the winter Olympics.
- NASA’s Apollo 7 is launched for a 11 days mission in which it orbits earth 163 times.
- NASA’s Apollo 8 is launched, the first manned mission to orbit the moon!
- USSR’s Tupolev Tu-144 is the first supersonic airplane.
- USA starts withdrawing troops from Vietnam, the beginning of the end of a dirty war which has killed millions and left millions without anything.
- NASA’s Apollo 10 performs a successful dry run for the later landing on the Moon.
- NASA’s Apollo 11 lands on the Moon, making Neil Armstrong the first man on the Moon!
- NASA’s Apollo 12 lands on the Moon.
- Maiden flights of the Boeing 747 Jumbo-jet.
- First nuclear power plant in The Netherlands.
- China-Soviet border conflicts.