The onions goes way back in time long before farming or writing was discovered, the allium vegetables was considered to be one of the earliest cultivated and consumed crops which was a staple in the prehistoric diet when ancient human predecessors in various regions of the world discovered the wild onions and consumed it as a source of food before it was domesticated for its many vital attributes due to the fact that it is easy to grow in any soil types and climatic conditions, above all it prevents thirst and it is crucial for sustaining human life; it is less perishable hence can be preserved for a longer shelf life just by drying for later consumption whenever the allium vegetables are scarce. Onions is believed to have originated in central Asia dated as far back as 5000 years ago that was traced back to the ancient bronze age as a source of food; the onions was so valuable that during the middle ages it was a medium of exchange that was used for paying rent.
The onion is commonly known as “Allium Cepa” from the Latin word “cepa” it is in the family of Allium which is made up of the onions bulb, the garlic, leek, spring onions, while the onion bulbs are found in yellow, white, brown, red or purple. Nigeria is among the world highest producers of Allium-Onions known to produce over two million tonnes annually, thereby sitting comfortably in the onions market segment worldwide; the onion crop are generally cultivated and domesticated in Bauchi, Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Plateau, Sokoto and other regions all across Nigeria. The onion bulb is known and called different names for the Hausa it is “Albasa”, while it is “Alubosa” for the Yoruba and “Yabas” in Igbo whereas the Garlic cloves are called “Tafarnuwa” in Hausa, it is named “Ata ile” in Yoruba while it is known as “Akwukwo Nkowa Okwu” in Igbo tribal regions of Nigeria. Onions belongs to the Allium vegetables because all the species of the allium contain the enzyme called “alliinase” known to produce a strong smelling sulfur compounds when the plant tissues are crushed or cut. It is also a protection that help prevent pests and insects attacks in order to keep the plant safe from the farm to fork; amazingly also it is the strong smelling sulfur compounds that gives the allium family its unique aroma and taste that endears chef across the globe to the bulbs.
The myth surrounding the onions bulb in some culture is much more magical than it is mystical with some culture believing that a string of onions tied together and hung in the room can ward off witches, wizards, jinns and black magic. The onions in Ancient Egypt are relish as condiments in dishes as food, placing it also on a vintage position for worship believing that the perfectly fitted onion layers symbolizes eternal life meaning that life exist continuously just as seen in the rings of the onions; Onions has been widely used in culture of the world as documented during Egyptian ancient days when powerful kings are buried with onions in their tombs hence used for mummification while other notable kings are known to have the onions inserted into their eye sockets, for their athletes the success and wins also depends on the excess consumption of the onions whereas others are known to massage the muscles with the onions believing that it purifies and pump up the blood for speed.
All across the globe the Onions has always been valued in arts and cultures for its meal and medicinal properties not surprising that onions are the third if not the second most important vegetable in the world due to its versatility in turning a bland dish into a flavorful, aromatic and spicy dish not forgetting the fact that onions are amongst the best kitchen remedies to reach for in emergency situation for its naturally healthy nature to give an instant relief to a life threatening health risk.
The allium family are seen as the onions, garlic, spring onions, chives, leeks, shallots and scallions amongst the hundreds of the allium family; it has been cultivated since the prehistoric times with each species of the allium family having its unique history and uses, hence the plant has been used as food, medicine, culture and religious practices.
The onions has been documented throughout history for its potency which also depends on culture, custom and cuisine uses not only for its delightfulness in producing aromatic dishes but for its so many amazing healthy remedies which range from the treatment of hair loss, cure of baldness, nasal congestion of cough, cold, catarrh, asthma, thyroid and breathing problems; the excellent load of its antioxidant activity especially of the onions which has greater pungency can assist greatly in the reduction of cancer risk, diabetes and heart diseases. A commonly cultivated vegetable that is used in almost every savory or spicy dishes and a most in frying the different varieties of vegetable oil in order to incorporate the unique flavor of the onions into the dish, it is that one vegetable amongst others that is widely consumed and used in almost all cuisines of the world irrespective of culture, costumes, cuisines, tribal region or religion all across the globe. Onion bulbs are used in cooking as a vegetable to enhance the taste, flavor, aroma and nutrients of dishes, the onions are found in many varieties depending on species but the major colors are the white, yellow or brown, red or purple colors; it can be eaten raw in salads, juiced for a healthy detox, dehydrated onions can also be dry milled into onion powder, onions can also be pickled in vinegar, or added to dishes to spice it up, whereas it can also be used in cooking the so many recipes requiring the unique attributes of the onions when baking dishes like casseroles, stuffed meat pies or empanadas, other cooking processes includes boiling, braising, grilling, frying, stir-frying, microwaving, roasting, sautéing, or steaming.
Allium Family Of The Onions
Onions are used in cooking tasty and flavorful dishes, cooking without any of the allium species would be challenging because few if any cuisine exist without the use of the onions; commonly used in cooking are the onion bulbs, garlic, leeks, chives, shallots and scallions although the last two are often mistaken with each other, the allium leaves, flowers and bulbs are also edible. All the varieties or species of the allium differ among each others in their taste and polyphenol contents with the shallots containing the highest amount of the lots; the yellow or brown onions are rich in flavonols, red or purple onions are excellently loaded in anthocyanins found in its red or purple pigments while the leeks, chives and scallions are loaded with the chlorophyll and the garlics is rich in saponins and myricetin.
The allium vegetables are low in calories, high in beneficial nutrients without causing weight gain, super nutritious which consists of the onion bulbs, garlic cloves, leek, and shallot are excellently loaded in the powerful cancer-fighting compounds of sulfur and flavonoid antioxidants are beneficial in helping to lower risk of certain cancer of the brain, lungs, stomach, colorectal, and ovarian. Whereas the garlic is used as medicine in the prevention and treatment of high blood pressure, helping also to manage the level of cholesterol, handles the flu in nasal congestion, reduces inflammation, assists in preventing Dementia and Alzheimer diseases.
Onions contains potassium, folate, manganese, vitamin c and B6; Onion consumption helps to lower risk of brain cancer, esophageal, osteoporosis symptoms, colorectal cancer, renal, breast, and stomach cancers. onions have anti-cancer, anti-thrombotic, anti-asthmatic and antibiotics activities.
The purple, maroon or red onions are the strongest in flavor, spicy and the most pungent which gives the best of taste to soups, rice dishes, stuffed onion snacks and garnishing for salads with its beautiful colors; whereas the white onions are crisp in texture, milder and sweeter in flavor, great in pizza, salad, sandwiches, grilled and roasted stick meat called suya meat in northern Nigeria, while the sweet yellow onion is similar to the white onions but with a mild flavor and sweetness that is much more than white onions, goes well with burgers when caramelized, kebab, stews, sauces, soups, sweet and sour dishes; other types of onions includes Cippolini onions that are extra sweet almost sugary with a disc like shape and a light yellow skin often can be mistaken for the yellow onions amongst the allium family are the Pearl onions that are found in a variety of colors red, yellow and white, a tiny version of the onion bulbs but sweeter.
Onion Bulb Oil
The processing of the onion oil is the same with the garlic cloves oil, it must be noted here that the more onion slices fried in the cooking oil the stronger will be the onion oil; on low heat place a deep saucepan, pour into it some vegetable oil of choice then allow to heat up and add into the hot oil onion slices, sizzle up until the onion slices turn golden brown and if preferred until the sliced onions are charred.
Alternatively cut onions into chunks and blend into puree, pour into a saucepan add enough coconut or olive oil and place on low heat the saucepan. Allow to boil then reduce heat further and simmer whilst stirring until all liquid is evaporated leaving just the oil.
Remove from heat, cool and strain oil with a cheese bag, squeeze to extract all the onion oil. Transfer to airtight jar, label appropriately and store in a cool and dark place to use whenever it is needed.
The nutrients in onion oil help to nourish the hair, promote healthy scalp and restores hair back to its natural health, prevent and protects against premature greying of the hair; onion oil are also used for moisturizing the hair and massaging the scalp for hair growth, the onion oil with regular use assist in reducing blemishes, under eye dark circle and darken skin spots.
Onion Bulb Powder
Onions can be processed and preserved to increase its shelf life; The onion powder is a dry or dehydrated onions that is dry milled, ground or pounded often used as a seasoning adding the same flavor as fresh onion to dishes such as soups, sauces, savory pastry like pizzas, canned or sea food, salads, meat, savory and baked goodies. The onion powder helps to reduce cooking time by saving time in the cooking process whilst removing the need of chopping or cutting the onion bulbs thereby getting rid of tear-drops due to the chemical compound of sulfur.
The onion powder helps to tackle post harvest losses which aids to reduce onion rot which causes waste, thereby assist in bringing down the price hike caused by flooding, climate change or artificial scarcity. The onion powder is easy to store, light in weight above all expand the onion powder market and create job for millions of youths, hence help to generate foreign exchange in the export market.
The preparation of onion powder is made easy with the availability of a dehydrator which speeds up the dehydration of the onions in limited time after which it is dry milled or grounded into onion flakes or onion powder. But if the dehydrator is not accessible then it can be sun dried after thinly slicing the onion bulb to speed up its drying thereafter it is dry milled or grounded to obtain the onion powder, it is advisable to always label all recipe jar appropriately.
The first vegetables of spring hence its name the “spring onions” often uprooted before the bulbs are matured thereby providing bright and fresh flavors to dishes; it is the young and immature onion bulbs that are harvested while still very fragile and tender, it is found in all the colors of the onion bulbs with white, yellow or red bulbs at its bottom although green onions when allowed to stay buried for longer tend to develop onion bulbs just like the spring onions; it is worthy of note here that the spring onions develops small round bulbs and has a robust flavor whereas green onions do not develop real bulbs and its flavor are milder, so here lies the difference between the spring and green onions.
Spring or green onions is made up of a small round to oval bulbs at its bottom which are firm yet smooth, crispy and succulent in colors of pure white to light red attached to the bulbs are very fine tan roots whereby sprouting at the top middle of the bulb is a straight stalk of overlapping evergreen leaves with a thick yet very stiff and crunchy texture having a light pale green colors close to the bulb and dark greens all along its length to the tip. The green leaves are pungent with a strong aroma while the bulbs are tender, juicy and sweet due to its sugar content with a mild flavor and it lacks the gases that are found in the matured onion bulbs.
The spring onions bulbs and leaves are edible with the leaves having a stronger flavor than its bulbs, it can be eaten raw when thinly sliced and tossed in veggies salad or layered onto burgers or sandwiches, toppings for pizza, can also be used as garnish for coleslaw and dishes of choice; it can be cooked when included in recipes then grilled, roasted, simmered or sautéed, it can easily be added to soups, stews, stir fried in sauces, added to egg dishes for flavor and color when used as garnish.
Spring onions are rich in vitamin A for healthy and smooth functioning of the human organs, contains vitamin C that is needed to strengthen the immune system while its vitamin K loads helps in promoting a speedy wound healing. The calcium richness of the spring onions protect the bones and teeth while its potassium contents help to balance fluid levels within the human system, the excellent load of its antioxidants help in reducing inflammation; the spring onions contain also copper, phosphorus, and magnesium.
The head or knob is called the head of the garlic which is covered naturally with a papery skin and when it is peeled away a wedge shaped sections can be seen naturally segmented with individual lobes know as the cloves consisting of 5 to 20 in a single head of garlic, at the base of the head is a tan and thin roots. The lovers of the garlic cloves enjoy it in seasoning dishes, with a tiny piece of garlic that is minced, crushed or pounded and in some cases dehydrated and grounded into powder giving out an amazingly strong flavor. The fresh or powdered garlic can be used in dishes of choice with other species of the allium family for a stronger tasting meal; the garlic powder can be processed after sun-drying or dehydrating the fresh cloves and then pound, ground or dry milled into garlic powder.
The making of the garlic flavored oil is just as easy to prepare, all it takes is to heat up any favorite cooking oils and then add in to it crushed, minced or pounded garlic cloves subsequently allow to sizzle until crispy and charred in order to obtain a stronger flavored oil of the garlic cloves. When the desired strength and strong flavored garlic oil is obtained then remove from the heat and allow to cool, subsequently strain using a mesh or colander to separate the fried garlic cloves residue which can also be added to soups and stews whereas the garlic oil is then stored in an airtight jar, label appropriately and store in a cool dark place for use in any recipe of choice requiring the garlic oil. The same can be used as a health remedy in topical application on the skin, scalp or swishing around the mouth for dental health.
The garlic powder can be prepared after sun-drying or dehydrating the garlic cloves, thereafter it is grounded or pounded to obtain the garlic powder; store in properly label jars and use as an alternative to the freshly crushed or minced garlic.
Chives scientifically known as Allium Schoenoprasummm is a versatile money-making and money saving allium herbs plants; Chives are amongst the species of the allium family just like the onions, leeks, scallions, shallots or garlic but it is considered a herb of the species and its entire plant stem is a gorgeous green rather than the green top and white bottom, whilst having a milder flavor when compared with the others; chives flavor are not as pungent as the garlic or even the onion therefore it never leaves eaters with onion breath so haters of onions can tolerate the taste of chives.
Chive herbs are different from the garlic chives because the later has a pungent garlic flavor with a wider, and flatter stems that are not hollow; Chives have green stems that are very thin, and long with a hollow middle like a straw, just like the spring onions the chive herbs are the first to be seen springing up in Spring all over gardens or farms. Chive plants develop beautiful purple blossoms and both its flowers and leaves are edible, easy to use in recipes with very simple steps which involves rinsing and chopping up to be used as a raw and fresh herb garnish, adding the colors of gorgeous green to soups, salad, dressings, and dips while for choice it can be beautifully draped over grilled or roasted meat, chicken or fish, great as toppings for baked potatoes, veggies salad, egg dishes and chive butter or ghee that is prepared by mixing into butter some chopped chives to blend in and then used for baked goodies or sandwiches, the addition of chives to dishes helps to beautifully garnish its appearance and also enhance dishes with the essentials of a mildly garlicky and oniony flavor.
Chives plants beautifies home place in flower arrangements or cultivated in home gardens. Helps to control soil erosion while assisting to repel pests and attract bees with its beautiful purple flower blossoms. A delightful flavoring for dishes, gorgeous garnish for salads, snacks, and refreshing drinks or beverages; snip up a bunch with beautiful ribbons for a gift or sell excess chive plants to make more money. Chives are also nutrient dense with its excellent loads of beta-carotene, folate, vitamin c, k and chlorophyll.
All of the allium-onion species are a must-have in the kitchen especially the chives, scallions and green onions because of their rich green colors, and powerful flavor; scallions are known and refer to as green onions with wide tubes that are bigger than the very thin and pencil-like stems of the chives. Scallions or green onions have white bottom and green top with its plant elongated or longer, wider, and much more floppier than chives which are herbs therefore chives are herbs whereas scallions and green onions are vegetables; spring onions greens and bulbs are much more developed than the scallions but less developed than the matured onion bulbs. It is made up of hollow green leaves known as the green onions but without the onion bulbs and are similar to spring onions but crunchier with a white bottom and green at the top; delicious in one pot dishes and stir-fries. It is loaded in the richness of beta-carotene, folate, vitamin c and k, the green pigmented allium is rich in chlorophyll especially the chives, leeks, and scallions which helps to protect against heart diseases and cancer risk.
A type of onion often confused with the scallions which are native to the Middle East, a source of food for the ancient Egypt and held sacred by the Persians; Shallots are similar to the red or purple onions but much more smaller and slender with a flavor that brings together the garlic, red and yellow onion taste all together in one, a fantastic add-in for making salad dressing or vinaigrette and it is popularly used in French and Chinese cuisine.
A bigger type of the scallions with its white parts which are tender and sweet with green tops also, unlike the scallions or the spring onions the leeks are tough and can not be eaten raw but when cooked it is delicious.
Leeks are a collection of leaf forming sheaths with a taste not as strong as the onions and can be eaten raw in salad or cooked in dishes of choice; Leeks are a rich source of beta-carotene manganese, iron, vitamin c, B6, k and contains dietary fiber.
Storing And Preserving Onions
The onion bulbs are store dry in an airy cool place that is humidity free to avoid moisture and the formation of molds which easily causes the bulbs to sprouts, it is advisable to store in basket or cartons with air outlets, if possible weave the stem ends together and hung on the roof or window sills where it can access freely the fresh air.
Storing the spring bulbs or green tops and white bottom is completely different because if left out in the dry air it simply dries up therefore it is best to wrapped up tightly in paper towels, place in re-sealable bag or airtight container before storing in the refrigerator to retain its freshness and crispiness, to also avoid it’s flavor impacting on other food items in there.
Curtailing The Crying Whilst Cutting Onions
Why tear-up when cutting the onions?
Want to curtail the crying and chomp on the chewy onions without crying then that can be easily remedy by chilling or soaking in water before cutting or slicing.
When the onion’s nerves are damaged by cutting it releases a chemical known as Lachrymatory Factor (LF) or the released of sulfur-containing compounds which is naturally occurring in the onions as a protection against predators, consequently the chemical affects the sensory nerves in the eyes opening up the tear-ducts to let flow the tears.
The cutting of onions can be stress-free and tear-free by trying the following tips; a cold onion does not release the chemical so place the onions in the vegetables section of the refrigerator to get chilled which significantly reduces the chemical sulfur-containing compounds which has hitherto evaporated while in the refrigerator.
The best method of dressing the onions before cutting or chopping up is to first cut off the top but do not cut off the roots of the onions which contains high loads of the sulfur acids which is responsible for the tears; then gently peel away the outer layer of the onion before cutting with a sharp knife.
The wearing of protective eye gears such as glasses or goggles, and in some cases contact lenses protects the eyes from the irritating chemical of the onions sulfur compound.
Cutting the onions with a sharp knife also reduces the chemical release because crushing or pounding the onions damages the onion nerves thereby causing the release of the chemical sulfur-oxide.
Placing the onions under any transparent kitchen vents, bowls or trays can help prevent the chemical released getting directly into the eyes due to the obstruction placed between the onions and the eyes.
Money, Meal, Medicine And Magic Of Onions In Northern Nigeria.
Onions and garlic are widely cultivated in northern Nigeria, almost every farm have section of its space designed for onion cultivation and domestication; it is not unusual to see small pots of the onion plants growing all around the homestead or households. The soil and climatic conditions are favorable for the cultivation of onions, as seen cultivated all across regions in Nigeria; the onions business for the northern Nigeria is a thriving venture due to the fact that the best of onions species are found cultivated in the region thereby making northern Nigeria the highest cultivator and supplier of all the onions types to the other parts of Nigeria. The prices of onions are annually affected by floods, seasonal fluctuations and in recent years the insecurities bedeviling almost all regions across Nigeria; hike in prices reaches its peak during the Holiday season known as the ember months beginning from the month of September to December when the demand for the onions in the southern parts of Nigeria goes up and most often making it difficult for the northern region to meet demand with its supplies and this is attributed to the lack of the necessary machineries and tools during planting and harvesting, consequently causing a lot of loss to spoilage when the onions are not quickly handle, preserve and transported to the ready market in the southern parts of Nigeria where the onions are in very high demand.
The fresh produce market at the Customs Area known as Gamboru markets in the city of ancient Maiduguri, Borno State Nigeria is always a beehive of activities when buyers and sellers converge over the business of the onions; those who are known to engage in the marketing of the onions are never out of sight in the market, journeying long hours through dangerous night despite the insecurities in the northeast still making a trip just to buy and later sell same back in their regions. The business of onions brings in a huge return over very little investment because the onions is the best and most preferred ingredients for cooking dishes especially the traditional cuisines which requires lots and lots of the onion bulbs in order to achieve that unique flavor cultural meals are known for all over Nigeria.
The upsurge in demand for the onions within and outside Nigeria has in recent times seen the price of onions skyrocketing to the extent that the people involved in its buying and selling are making unbelievably huge profit turning them into an overnight millionaires due to its shortages during the Holiday seasons but even as its prices continues to increase exponentially onion lovers never worry about sparing and spending huge sums of money in order to add their favorite vegetable to their meals because it is absolutely impossible not to be addicted to the onions once a chef gets to know the onions power in dishes. Almost every dish is cooked with the onions leading to a culinary obsession with the delicious vegetable called onions, rich in health benefits, also great for beauty care routine of the skin and hair, helping to build and maintain collagen, nourishing the hair follicles, moisturizes dry hair and enhance the hair growth especially as a topical application especially the use of the onion juice to stimulate the scalp and the use of onion oil to moisturize the hair.
The tradition of the Kanuri people can never ever be complete without bringing into it the onion and garlic bulbs, it is provided in several bags for a new bride to take away as gift for her new home, it is an essential when a new mother delivers a child because it is believed that the nutrients of the onions would quickly assist the mother in healing and help with the nursing of the new born, hence several bags of the onions and garlic are bought for the cooking long before the event of the child-naming which also will require lots of onions to prepare the Sheep or Ram provided for the celebrations. Religious events and important gatherings which involves the preparation of assorted dishes must also make available bags upon bags of the onion bulbs.
Although not all people relished the garlic bulbs as much as the onion bulbs and this might NOT be unconnected to the fact that garlic is strong smelling, and no matter how little it is ingested the garlic pungent smell still ooze out either through breathing or sweating but often times people with health challenges such as cardiovascular diseases must include it in daily meals to curtail or cure heart problems and for them it must also be included in their meals.
It is a common sight to see people insert the a sliced piece of the onion bulb or garlic clove into their nostrils as a curative way to handle severe nasal congestion caused by mucous often times asthmatic patient are seen using the garlic or onion as a remedy for curative or curtailing any asthmatic attack.
An efficacious and MUST try hack during painful toothache is the garlic remedy; place some garlic cloves into the mortar, add in some black spice cloves, sprinkle some salt then using the pestle crush all together to obtain a paste. Scoop and place the paste on the spot of the throbbing tooth, stay silent and watch the amazing magic wand of the garlic brings on instant relief, soothing away the pain. Repeat the process severally until a dentist can be reach to handle it professionally.
The Kanuri’s of the northeast are known for their love of onions in every savory or spicy dish that the onion bulbs must be added into; a typical day for them when out shopping is to first buying a bagful of the onion bulbs for cooking just a pot of soup, any soup, stew or sauce must be cook with the onions even if there are nothing else added to such a dish. The first step in cooking a simple vegetable or stew involves, the peeling and slicing of the onion bulbs after which the sliced onions are gathered in about 2-3 medium size trays; it is them stir-fried in a little oil until it is reduced in quantity and the onions are caramelized thereby forming the base for any soup to be cooked, after which it is seasoned with spices, salt and any other ingredients of choice that is available. In cooking the stew or sauce the same quantity of the onion bulbs are also provided and added to other vegetables such as the tomatoes, bell pepper and scotch bonnet before wet milling into a puree and then used in making the stew or sauce. It is a known fact that the cooking of soup takes longer to be prepared, with the aroma and flavor of the simmering soup carrying away far and wide, the moment the cooking of meals begins in the neighborhood it is so easy to pick out the household cooking because of the delicious aroma of the dish calling, and inviting others who can not resist the deliciousness of their neighbors meal. After using the fingers to scoop and eat meals in the northeast the fingers remain with the aroma of the meal eaten even after several hand washing moments, on a lighter note use the spoon when invited for a meal in the northeast Nigeria!
The onions and garlic when it is not found sizzling in the sauce pan, it is seen hanging somewhere around the households either for protection against evil spirits or as a means of preventing some types of crawling creatures from infesting the homes. One very effective remedy against wall Geckos that is often used around homes is a hack made with the garlic and salt; peel the leathery coverings of the garlic bulbs into a mortar add into it some salt then using the pestle pound to crush the garlic, whilst mixing it in with the salt until completely blended together. Scoop into small round plates and place on the four edges of a room; NOT a single wall Gecko will be seen in such a room and if there are any living within all will migrate just disappearing from the scene; myth or magic only a trial will prove that!
Onions And Stick Or Skewer Meat Kebab In Northern Nigeria
The best of meat kebab is found in northern Nigeria, generally and popularly known as suya all over the world; suya in Hausa simply means roasted thin slices of beef, lamb or chicken meat over a smoldering coal or firewood. Northern Nigeria has made a name and reputation out of the many “Suya Spot” that are found everywhere and anywhere all over communities in Nigeria; suya sellers are known to have business names and trademarks to distinguish their individual recipes from the others and this is made possible by the “native spices” used in making the open fire roasted meat slices, it is also important to note that achieving the best seasoned, spiced and tender roast of meat depends not only on the ingredients but most importantly on the use of onion bulbs, in fact lots of it. Visiting a suya joint one very noticeable spot is the smoldering fire, where along its front edge is a carefully molded sand heaps covering the burning fire, it is on the sand heaps just a little above the fire that the stick meat kebab called suya are arranged. Done expertly so in order to roast the meats as well as to avoid the meat burning, the onion bulbs in several sizes, colors and types are also available close to the fire to roast slightly for those who prefer such while others go for the freshly and teary onion slices to be served with the roasted or grilled suya meat.
Serving the roasted suya meat is always with the onion slices, tomatoes and lettuce salad; while for some Suya recipes called “mai romo-romo” it is just a variation from the normal stick meat to a juicy meat that is served with an onion sauce or caramelized onion slices. The onion sauce is specially prepared using an oven or the stove top; the meat is slightly boiled, seasoned and spiced up, it is further arrange intricately on a suya stick in a butterfly wing shape and then coated with several layers of native suya spices, peanut butter crackers known as kulikuli that has been grounded or pounded into powder and seasonings of choice, which is followed by arranging the stick meat before the smoldering coal to roast. The juice collected from the boiled meat or the drippings from either the grilled or oven roasted meat is transferred into a frying pan, season with spices, seasoning cubes and lot of onion slices. It is carefully simmer on low heat until most of the liquid is evaporated and the onions becomes translucent; it is dished over the roasted meat to serve along with tiny packs of spices called “yagin suya” to sprinkle over it for more heat.
The onion rings or slices is always available at the suya joint which if translated simply means that “no onions no suya” therefore the business of suya skewer meat is also the business of onion bulbs; medically it is advised to serve and eat the roasted suya meat or kebab meat with lots of onions to avoid the growth of cancer tumors and kidney stones that may lead to cancer and kidney diseases.
Onions Sizzling Spicy And Savory Recipes
The bursting flavor which onions adds to cuisine is indispensable, incomparable and irreplaceable while its varieties are amazingly endless thereby making the allium family of the onions an essential in the kitchen for cooking delicious and aromatic meal. Onions are a most in most recipes because it is so versatile and an essential ingredient for enhancing and giving depth of flavor, aroma and taste; onions are the start ups for meals from the onion soups to onion rings for a crispy appetizer and for a satisfying after meal snack known as the stuffed onions which is a ready meal that satisfy fast and for long. Onions tingles the taste buds, slice up some onions and start sizzling a spicy onion recipe now, try these:-
Naturally onion bulbs are high in water content, therefore it is an excellent source to extract lots of juice from a single onion bulbs, it is an amazing and nourishing drink for weight loss, and enhanced immunity, while as a topical application it works it wonders on the skin and hair. It is used as a curative remedy for hypertension, common cold, nasal congestion, poor circulation and urinary tract infections; for its antiseptic potency it is used on bruises and wounds. A quick remedy for bee sting is the pungent onion juice, just a drop on the eye of the spot would immediately bring down the swelling and give instant relief.
1. Onion bulbs
2. Lemon juice and salt is optional
3. Refillable bottle with cover
4. A fine mesh or sieve
5. Blender, grater, juicer or mortar and pestle
1. Gather together the needed onion bulbs depending on the quantity of juice needed.
2. Peel off its skin, rinse all the peeled onion bulbs in clean water, grate the onions with the grater; moving the onion bulb in an up and down motion against the fine hole-side of the grater until all the onion bulbs has been used up. Alternatively, slice the onion bulbs into chunks then put all the onion pieces into the blender and blend until a thick onion puree is obtain; open up the blender lid to push and scrape down the big onion chunks toward the blades using a spatula, cover with lid and continue blending then again for the second or third time repeat until completely and uniformly all the onion chunks are blended into a thick onion puree.
3. Pour onto a sieve or strainer that has been placed over a bowl, then strain out the onion juice, push and press down the grated onion pulps with the back of a spoon scoop down into the strainer to extract as much of the juice as possible; collect the onion pulp from the strainer and put into a cheese bag, then wrap it tightly around the onion pulp inside, pressing and pushing down on the onion pulp to squeeze out the remaining juice still within the pulpy folds, continue thus until all the onion juice has finish dripping out of the cheese bag.
4. Transfer the remaining onion pulp residues into a separate bowl and use in making soups or stews, can also be added to other recipes requiring onions.
5. Pour the onion juice into a bottle, cover tightly and store in the refrigerator until needed.
6. Straight up, sip on the onion juice as and when needed to boost immunity and for weight loss; mellow down it pungent aroma and flavor by adding in a pinch of salt mix with some fresh lemon juice, stir together to blend the juice and then drink up in a gulp immediately.
7. Works wonder when it is applied to the scalp which help to nourish the hair follicles for improved hair growth and healthy head of hair.
Suya Stick-Skewer Meat Kebab
A meat slices made of marinated meat pieces, saturated in hot native spices and very well seasoned, interlaced with colorful vegetables and the grilled or roasted can also be serve on a bed of green leafy salad, with lots of onion rings slices to balance up the nutrients, super spicy, tasty and delicious made in the home kitchen but a popular northern Nigeria street meat kebab, relished by couples going out on a date, a preferred take away to take home snacks for the family, and can be served on the spot steaming hot and savory roasted stick meat. Served during festivals, events such as birthdays, weddings and important gatherings, enjoy also by families wishing to enjoy the street kebab meat in their home kitchen.
1. Lean cut of meat
2. Native spices known as “yagin suya” mixed of ginger, cloves, alligator pepper, locust beans, seasoning cubes, salt and any more spices of choice
3. Onion bulbs
4. Seasoning cubes, seasoning sauce and salt
5. Groundnut or vegetable oil
6. Foil paper and cling film
7. Skewers used traditionally are wooden but iron skewers can serve the same purpose
8. Green, red and yellow bell pepper, onion rings, tomato and cucumber slices
9. Ginger and garlic powder for more heat
1. The best cut of meat is the lean beef without the fat, avoid the muscles and the bones; wash properly and then slice as thinly as it is possible.
2. Spice it up with the mixed native spices and season it up properly, add onion slices, then sprinkle some more of the ginger and garlic powder.
3. Coat the meat slices with a gloved hand rubbing in thoroughly with the ingredients to incorporate into the meat.
4. Gently level the meat in the bowl to blend in with all seasonings and spices, scatter all over the toppings with the onion slices; seal up the top with a cling film to keep in the flavor and aroma.
5. Allow to marinate overnight in the refrigerator, so place carefully the seasoned meat wrapped up in the mixing bowl to keep undisturbed.
6. When it is ready then remove from the refrigerator and transfer onto a large foil paper, wrap and seal it up to avoid the juice of the meat oozing out; Roast on the grill or toast lightly in the oven or microwave for some minutes.
7. After a while, take it out of the oven and turn into a large tray to air cool, slice it further into smaller pieces, drizzle seasoning sauce and sprinkle more spices of choice all over it.
8. Pick each meat pieces and arrange on the skewers to be used, arrange on the grill or oven and drizzle some vegetable oil over the meat; turning occasionally for a uniform roast until cooked to the desired doneness.
9. Alternatively, arrange on a nonstick frying pan and place on the stove top to roast; or arrange close to a smoldering coal to roast.
10. Serve with raw, grilled or roasted vegetables with servings of the mixed native spices.
Onion Spicy Sauce
A delicious and flavorful sauce, it is prepared with many onion bulbs to give that unique flavor of onions, the addition of the ginger powder uplifts the nutrients and give balance to the taste of the onion sauce. Serve with choice food of potatoes chips, boiled, fried, roast yam or serve over rice dishes and a perfect filling for pastry.
1. Meat of beef, ram, chicken
2. Onion bulbs
3. Fresh tomatoes
4. Scotch bonnet
5. Bell pepper yellow, green and red
6. Spices of curry, thyme, ginger and garlic powder
7. Vegetables oil
8. Seasoning cubes and salt
1. An onion sauce involves the use of onions lots of it to give it that extra taste and aroma; collect several bulbs of onions as much as the quantity required and depending on choice. Peel off the leathery covering, cut off the top and bottom edges, rinse in water then grate using a grater or slice into quarters each onion bulbs and coarsely blend, Scoop into a clean bowl and keep for use when it is needed.
2. Wash clean then dress up and cut into prefer meat sizes the choice of meat, drain water and transfer into a sauce pan. Sprinkle all over a little salt, add crushed seasoning cubes, onion slices then pour in some water that is enough to cook meat until tender, place on low heat to cook; on the first boil sprinkle in some spices of thyme, curry, garlic and ginger powder, stir together to incorporate all seasonings, cover with lid and allow to cook until tender and water content is evaporated.
3. Carefully pick out all the cooked meat pieces into the clean mortar using the pestle pound or transfer into the mincing machine and mince into tiny bits.
4. Meanwhile, rinse vegetables in clean water, slice tomatoes , chop or blend scotch bonnet and shred the bell peppers all separately into bowls.
5. On low heat place a frying pan, pour in some cooking oil of choice to heat up, the first ingredient to go into the heated cooking oil is the grated onion bulbs, stir fry until sizzling then add in the sliced onions, chopped scotch bonnet and shredded bell peppers; stirring consistently to avoid browning and burning.
6. The meat stock reserved from the cooked meat must not go to waste because it contains nutrients and spices, add to the sizzling vegetables. Check and taste for spices and seasonings then adjust accordingly.
7. Scoop into the stir-frying sauce the minced or pounded meat, fold in to the sauce to coat with all spices and seasonings, cover with lid and allow to simmer for the last few minutes before removing from heat.
8. The onion stir-fry sauce is ready to be serve with rice, yam, spaghetti, can also be serve as fillings for bread slices, pastry pockets, chips and other favorite side dishes.
Fried Onion Rings
Onion rings are so addictive especially for lovers of the onions, it is such a delight that it can be served as a savory appetizer. A crispy, crunchy and chewy onion rings fried that has been dipped in rich batter before frying, serve with fried chips or other side dishes of choice. A light and savory snack that is relish by both the kids and adults, the choice of ingredients depends very much on preference and availability; the crispier the better and longer lasting for storage.
There are different ways and methods of making the onion rings, try this most easiest method.
1. Onion bulbs
2. All purpose flour
3. Fresh milk and eggs
4. Spices of ginger, garlic powder and chili pepper
5. Seasoning cubes and salt to taste
6. Vegetables oil for frying
1. Onion large bulbs are used to obtain larger rings; Peel off the leathery covering, cut off the top and bottom edges, rinse the onions then carefully place in the center of an egg cutter or a round slightly hollow plate. Cut into rings slices of 1/2 an inch in size or as thick or thin as to choice; carefully separate the round layers and place on a separate bowl.
2. The batter used for the dips also depends on choice, so feel free to mix and match with other ingredients available; Sift the wheat flour into a mixing bowl, add a little baking powder, crushed seasoning cubes, salt, chili pepper, ginger and garlic powder, stir to combine into a spicy flour blend, scoop and reserve some for dusting the onion rings.
3. Quickly make a batter mixture with the remaining flour mix, pour in some milk, add in the whisked fresh eggs, spice and season more if necessary, beat or whisk to obtain a fluffy air incorporated batter.
4. Dust each onion rings with some of the dry flour mix until very well coated, gently shake off the excess flour; Dip into the batter mixture the flour coated onion rings, gently remove and place in the reserved breadcrumbs to coat all over again, reason why some onion rings are crunchier than others all depend on procedure.
5. Meanwhile, on medium heat, place a frying pan then pour in vegetables oil enough to fry the rings when it is hot enough, drop into the hot oil some onion slices to sizzle and give off a delicious aroma, to also enhance the taste of the onions ring more.
6. Carefully drop into the hot oil the coated onion rings giving spaces in between, fry the onion rings in batches depending on the size of frying pan and how much rings it can fry in batches; flip and fry both sides until crispy golden brown on both sides.
7. As soon as it is golden, quickly remove from the hot oil with the perforated spoon onto the absorbent paper towel placed over a tray to absorb excess oil.
8. Serve with dressings of choice with other favorite side dishes of potatoes chips, meat kebab or grilled fish.
9. Wrap up remaining and store in airtight container and keep in the freezer or refrigerator until when it is needed; microwave or warm up in the oven to serve again.
Homemade sandwiches can be made to fit into any time of day or event, making for a fast meal away from the usual warm toast, with just butter and jam. Sandwiches can be so easy to make with very few available or leftover add-in which can be a turkey, chicken or fish fillets with any any veggies of choice from the tomato slices, bell pepper to the generous rings of onion slices; filled with cheese for a yummy snack meal. Sandwiches name comes with its fillings such as egg, chicken or tofu sandwiches.
Bread loaf slices
1. Marinated meat of choice such as turkey, chicken or fish for meat lovers but for vegan some tofu fillings will do
2. Raw onions or pickled
3. Boiled egg slices
4. Fresh lettuce salad
5. Carrots and cucumber slices optional
6. Dressings of choice creamy mayonnaise or cheese
7. Bell pepper slices or stripes
8. Savory mixed spices and marinate of soy sauce or other favorite
1. The best bread slices that is soft with a lightly crispy crust.
2. The marinate for the meat or tofu depends on taste, there lots of choices available such as soy sauce, and lime juice while for a savory marinate the mixed spices of ginger, clove garlic and chili or black pepper will give the desire heat.
3. On low heat, stir fry the marinated meat or tofu until lightly golden brown.
4. Toast or not to toast the bread slices is by choice but which ever way, lightly butter the slices, place the veggies of choice slices according to colors then add the cheese, the stir-fried meat or tofu follows, if using boiled eggs then peel it and chop up before mixing with mayonnaise then slather on mayonnaise or any favorite dressings; If prefer make another layer on top by placing a bread slice again spread it generously with the egg-mayo mix then more veggies with generous rings of pickled onions, lastly top with the last buttered bread toast.
5. Carefully hold down, with a sharp knife cut off bread crusts; cut horizontally or diagonally to obtain the shapes of triangle or square, insert in the center sandwich skewer or clean tooth picks and serve on a platter with other side dishes or dips.
6. Enjoy immediately and keep the left over wrapped up in foil paper then place in the sandwich packs and store in the refrigerator.
Burgers are made of buns that are packed filled with lots of onions, chive herbs, veggies, with cheese toppings and above all the meat patties that is made with minced meat, onions and spices then shaped into flattened, round mold of meat.
1. Flour buns
2. Meat patties
3. Lettuce green salad and Veggies slices
5. Meat of choice
6. Lots of onion slices
8. Ketchup or Tomatoes sauce
1. On low heat place a dry frying pan, pour some vegetable oil to heat up, then add in the sliced and chopped onions; stir-fry until caramelized.
2. Scoop and add in the minced meat, add crushed seasoning cubes, salt, spices of choice like the ginger and garlic powder then sprinkle all over some chive herbs; combine all together by stirring to mix properly.
3. Measure and carefully divide the meat stir-fry into equal sizes and then shape it to form the patties for burgers; stir-fry both sides of the patties until it is firmly molded then reserve.
4. Homemade buns can be used for burgers just as the store bought buns but freshly home baked are the best.
5. Place the bun halves face down in the frying pan used for the patties to toast lightly or grill; turn over the warm bun half and place a cheese slice to melt on it.
6. On the second halve of bun place the salad greens, meat patties, onion and tomatoes slices.
7. Top it up with the bun halve and serve with ketchup or mayonnaise and chopped egg mix.
8. An easy and fast snack meal enjoyed by millions all over the world; mix and march to fit in with personal choice.
Spring Onions Smoked Fish Sauce
The spring onions is the tender leafy green of the onion bulbs, either sold together or separately. The green onions or spring onions are mostly used as a garnish in many recipes for that gorgeous green colors in combination with the onion bulbs for an enhanced flavor. It is a simple, fast and cheap sauce prepared with smoked cat fish and few vegetables which can be served over cooked yam or potatoes as a light and delicious meal.
1. Smoked cat fish
2. Spring or green onions
3. Onion bulbs
4. Groundnut or peanut oil
5. Tomatoes, Scotch bonnet and bell pepper
6. Seasoning cubes and salt to taste
1. The smoked fish must be wash and de-bone because of the dirt or debris sticking to its oily outer layers; wash it in hot water, remove the fish bone and rinse in clean water then keep in a bowl.
2. Collect all vegetables into a bowl of clean water and rinse off all impurities; chop the scotch bonnet and the bell pepper into a separate bowl. Tomatoes are soft so it is best to slice into circles, while the onion bulbs is either cut into a vertical or horizontal shapes to give more beauty to a delicious meal.
3. It is necessary to also wash the spring onions severally in water to get rid of sand particles or impurities hidden in the folds of the leafy green. Shake off excess water or allow to drain placed in a perforated kitchen bowl; collect it into a bunch and shred into tiny bits then transfer to a separate bowl also.
4. On low heat, place a frying pan then pour in some cooking oil of choice to heat up, sizzle some onion slices to enhance aroma and taste, add in the chopped scotch bonnet and bell pepper stirring for a while then pour in more onion slices and stir all together.
5. Season the sauce with salt and crushed cubes, add in the smoked fish and stir together to coat; lastly add the shredded green or spring onions then cover to simmer until water is evaporated.
6. Stir-fry for a while to avoid it sticking and burning, check for seasonings and adjust accordingly, cover to simmer for the last few minutes.
7. Serve with cooked yam, rice or side dishes of choice for a fast and easy meal.
Pickled Onion Bulbs Or Garlic Cloves
The fact that onion bulbs have a longer shelf life when compared to other fresh vegetables, still there is a need to preserve and prolong onions for out of season use when the onion bulbs are scarce and expensive. There are so many ways of preserving onions or garlic which includes drying or dehydrating, to flaking or powdering while freezing or storing in baskets can also extends the shelf life of the onions, whereas pickling onions is the process of preserving onion to prolong its shelf life. The pickling of garlic can be done using the same method, mix and match with vinegar or add-in ingredients of choice.
1. Onion bulbs
2. Vinegar of choice white, wine or apple
3. Sugar is optional
4. Salt as to taste
5. Garlic cloves, crushed as add-in but it is optional
6. Spices of garlic powder, chili or crushed pepper can add some heat
1. The best onion for pickling are the purple or red onions even though other onion types can be pickled also which all depends on personal favorite; collect as much onion bulbs as it is needed for pickling, peel off the skin and rinse in clean water. Slice into paper thin slices or thick slices for crunchier pickled onions. Alternatively, smaller onions can be pickled whole without slicing, just peel off the skin, cut off the two ends and rinse in clean water.
2. Carefully transfer the onion slices or onion bulbs into a pickle jar, pack tightly together in the jar that has been sterilized through the process of washing and hot water bath, adding the Garlic cloves can help enhance the flavor more, if prefer add some and for more color add some shredded chives.
3. On low heat place a saucepan, pour some water and bring to boil next add in the sugar and a little salt, stirring until it is dissolve; spicy pickled onions then add crushed pepper or chili powder, stir to blend in altogether.
Pour into the simmering mixture the vinegar then stir all together to combine.
4. Gently pour the simmering hot vinegar mixture over the onions in the jar until completely covered, allow to cool enough to be place in the refrigerator.
5. Cover with lid and seal tightly, store in the refrigerator for as long as it is needed, allow to stay for at least an hour before using.
6. Enjoy a unique tasting onions on sandwiches, burgers, soups, dips, Shawarma, salads and other pastry pockets; beautiful and delicious toppings that gives a bright, sweet and tangy elevation to meals.
The best of ingredients in achieving great taste, and aroma goes with the onion bulb which gives any dishes the best of enhanced deliciousness, invitingly encouraging the taste-buds to savor more of the meal. The recipe is a recycled meal put together with leftovers of rice dishes, tomatoes sauce and just a few bulb of onions. The left over stuffed onions can make for a great snack, an appetizer and can be serve as side dish or finger foods.
1. Large onion bulbs
2. Minced meat of choice
3. Groundnut or peanut oil
4. Tomatoes sauce or paste
5. Chopped or grated onions
6. Spices of chili, ginger and garlic powder
7. Seasoning cubes and salt
8. Fresh curry leaves is optional
9. Fresh eggs or bread crumbs
1. Onion large bulbs are layer off and used as the stuffing for the fillings; Peel off the leathery covering, cut off the top and bottom edges, carefully using a sharp cutter, slice from the side of the large onion bulbs from the top in a straight line to the bottom all through to the inner core of the onion NOT cutting into two, stopping just at the core in order to get large round layers of the onions. Bring some water to the boil and gently drop into the boiling water the onion bulbs and simmer gently for some minutes just to soften the onion layers. Strain off the liquid from the onions, allow to cool enough for easy handling; peel away and separate the layers of each onions careful not to break the layers, collect all the layers into a different bowl. The small inner layers can be chopped and added to the stir-fry fillings, here also preventing waste of the onions.
2. On low heat place a frying pan pan, pour in some vegetables oil and sizzle some onion slices until soft, add in the tomato paste if using or scoop out of the tomatoes sauce and add to the sizzling onions, stir together.
3. A vegetarian stuffed onions consists of only veggies without the addition of meat; Mince meat is next, add it into the now frying sauce, stir to incorporate the sauce, season with crush cubes and salt, then spice it up with spices of choice whilst stirring with each addition.
4. The left over cooked white or Jollof rice can be used in the recipe, add in the rice available and stir to combine thoroughly; add chopped fresh curry leaves and cover to simmer until done.
5. Whisk some fresh eggs to pour in or sprinkle over it some bread crumbs in order to help bind up all the ingredients not to fall apart when used as fillings.
6. Pick layers of the onions and scoop spoonful’s of the rice fillings into each of the layers of the onions; wrap the onion layers over and around the rice fillings. Continuously repeat the process until all the fillings and stuffing are exhausted.
7. On low heat place the saucepan of tomato sauce to simmer, arrange all the stuffed onions in the sauce leaving enough space in between each for rising, cover up with the lid, allow to incorporate and cooked through to the fillings until the tomato sauce is set.
8. Alternatively, arrange all the stuffed onion layers in a baking dish; pour the tomato sauce over it then push into a preheated oven to bake until sauce is reduced and there is browning’s on the stuffed onions toppings.
9. Serve the stuffed onions with some of the tomatoes sauce used for the cooking, serve any time of the day with other favorite beverages; store the remaining left over in the freezer or refrigerator by arranging in a single layer to avoid crushing the stuffed onions in the airtight containers with lids then wrap it up in re-sealable bag to avoid food flavors stored in the refrigerator getting into the stuffed onions.
Sweet Onion Coleslaw
The secret to the best ever flavor in creamy and sweet coleslaw recipes is always, always the bulb of onions to light up the taste-buds; A salad prepared with the raw shredded, sliced or chopped cabbage mix with onions and carrots with a generous amount of coleslaw dressings for a juicy and yummy treat. Coleslaw is serve freshly prepared with a crunchy and chewy texture, a deliciously zingy flavor that gives and leaves a little heat on the tongue; serve with side dishes of meat such as barbeque or kebab or as fillings for pastry pockets.
1. Cabbage of choice either purple or green grate finely or mince with a food processor
2. Onions purple or red
3. Fresh carrots for more crunchiness and a beautiful contrasting color
4. Bell peppers of red, green or yellow; deseed and shred into strips
5. Apple is added to enhance its sweetness but it is optional
6. Green onions or chives finely chopped for garnishing
7. Mayonnaise or an alternative is making a favorite homemade salad dressings
8. Coleslaw dressings prepared with vegetable oil of choice, sugar, grated sweet onions, generous drizzling of lemon juice for cold mix while for heated mix use vinegar to achieve tangy zing for that extra nourishing feel.
Spices of choice chili, black pepper, garlic powder and salt to taste
9. Food processor or grater to finely chop all veggies
1. Meanwhile make the coleslaw dressings over night or several hours before making the coleslaw in order to age the dressing; Vinegar dressing is made by first pouring the vinegar into a saucepan, add in the sugar and microwave until the sugar is dissolved or place on low heat, stirring until the sugar granules is dissolved completely then remove from heat and add in the vegetable or olive oil, chili and garlic powder, sprinkle salt to taste lastly add in the sweet chopped yellow or white onions as much as is needed for a strong aromatic and flavored dressings. Mix to combine by gently stirring the dressing until all ingredients are blended together. Transfer into an airtight jar when completely cool then seal and store in the refrigerator for as long as it remains fresh; always shake again to blend together before adding in because the ingredients tend to be separated after storing.
2. The size of cabbage depends on the quantity and number of people to be served; wash thoroughly the cabbage then peel off the outer layers divide it into two halves and again divide the halves into another two, shred into tiny bits alternatively cut the cabbage into chunks then transfer into a food processor and shred, scoop out into salad mixing bowl and keep until ready for the coleslaw mix.
3. Chop the onion bulbs after peeling of its skin and cutting off both ends; Scrape the outer coverings of the carrots, rinse it in clean water, then slice into very thin strips or shred finely in the food processor, and add both the chopped onions and carrots to the shredded cabbage in the salad bowl.
4. Alternate the colors of the vegetables for beautiful and arresting colors; if a purple cabbage is used then use a yellow or white onions but if a purple onion bulbs is preferred then go for the greenish cabbage. Peel off the leathery and scaly skin of the onions, cut off the two ends of the onion bulbs then slice into two, place the flat side down holding firmly on a strong work area, shred thinly with a sharp knife and add to the salad bowl.
5. The basic three ingredients of coleslaw is always the cabbage, carrots and onions with mayonnaise or dressings of choice therefore the base three ingredients are ready, next is to add any other ingredients of choice to make for a rich coleslaw.
6. Serving the coleslaw depends on personal preference but in most cases the salad bowl and dressings are brought in together for individuals to scoop as much as is needed into the plate then just before serving shake up the dressing and drizzle over the vegetables alternatively just be serving, shake to mix the dressing then drizzle over the coleslaw in the bowl, fold to mix up all vegetables to incorporate the dressing to coat properly using a salad tong or fork until it is as creamy as to choice, garnish with finely shredded chive herbs for that distinct green color of chives.
7. Serve with other side dishes, finger foods or snacks along with favorite juice or beverage drinks.
8. Seal up or cover tightly the leftover coleslaw and store in the refrigerator, enjoy as soon as possible to avoid the coleslaw loosing its chewy and crunchy texture and flavor.
Spice Onions-Meat Kebab
An onion special treat that is prepared to choice ingredients and personal preference; add in more or take away from the list. Store bought minced meat can be used but it is really tasty to cook meat at home then minced for the recipe according to choice.
1. Mince meat
2. Fresh eggs
3. Irish Potatoes
4. Onion bulbs and Garlic cloves
5. Cucumber, Cabbage, Carrots
6. Tomatoes, green, yellow and red bell pepper
7. Mixed spices of native spices consisting of ginger, cloves, alligator and chili pepper powder
8. Vegetables oil
9. Peanut butter or kuli-kuli known as peanut crackers
10. Seasoning cubes and salt
11. Skewers wooden or Iron
1. On low heat place a dry frying pan, pour in just a dash of vegetable, olive oil or butter to heat up; add in some onion slices and saute until it is tender and translucent.
2. Add in the cooked minced meat, spice it up with the mixed spices, sprinkle crushed seasoning cubes, salt to taste, add in crushed garlic and chopped onions then stir all together to combine, drizzle just a little water then cover and allow to simmer on very low heat until all water is evaporated.
3. Meanwhile, peel and slice the Irish potatoes into shapes and sizes of choice, rinse in water and transfer into a deep sauce pan, add salt and water to cover then place on low heat to blanch or to parboil.
4. Remove from the heat the spicy minced meat, and scoop out onto a wide plate or tray, spread it all out to cool; Scoop small spoonful and mold into round meat ball the size of a tennis ball, repeat until all the minced meat is used up.
5. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight to hold the perfect shape of a meat ball and also to prevent it from disintegrating whilst frying in hot vegetable oil.
6. When the potatoes is parboiled, remove from the heat and strain off the boiling stock or liquid; fry in hot oil slightly to stay soft in the inside and crispy from the outside then collect all the fried potatoes into a plate.
7. Crack and whisk the fresh eggs into a small bowl, season and spice up to taste then pick each meat ball and dip into the fresh eggs mixture to coat the meat balls then drop into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
8. Arranging on the skewer
Wash and peel all vegetables, slice into cubes or stripes and reserve; scoop into a plate some mixed spices and ground into powder the kuli-kuli or peanut crackers into a separate bowl.
9. Coat the slightly fried potatoes in spices and peanut crackers powder, then insert the skewer through the middle, next insert onion cube, carefully pass the skewer through the middle of the meat ball, then insert onion cube, tomato slice, green bell pepper, again fried potatoes, onion cube, tomatoes slices, cucumber, meat balls, onions and veggies of choice.
10. Repeat the process until all is used up, mix and match to preference there are no fix rules in inserting the vegetables, potatoes or meat balls.
11. Serve on a bed of lettuce salad with shredded cabbage, onion rings, pickled onions, stripped carrots, cucumber and bell pepper. Scoop and place on the side of the plate some mixed spices and kuli-kuli powder.
12. A must have kebab at gatherings and events, a hearty and delicious meal that is much more than a snack or finger food; wrap up the leftover and keep in the refrigerators.
Onions Health Benefits
The onion is of the allium family known scientifically as Allium cepa L. aside its many benefits and uses, the onion contains various phytochemicals such as organo-sulfur and phenolic compounds, including also polysaccharides and Saponins while its major bioactive properties are found in its sulfur-phenolic compounds that includes onionin A, cysteine, sulfuxides, and quercetin glucosides. Amazing health benefits of the onions includes antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-obesity, anti-diabetic, anti-cancer; its properties functions as health protection for cardiovascular, respiratory, immune, reproductive and digestive systems.
Allium-Onions are super food a powerhouse of nutrients and deliciously nourishing added to meals, daily onion consumption gives healthy and stronger bones, eat raw in vegetable salad or with snacks for enhance bone health; its amazing flavor in dishes makes for a delicious meals while its awesome nutrients helps human to stay healthy by preventing infections and diseases. Onion is loaded with vitamin c, dietary fiber, folic acid, calcium and iron, without any food allergen which can be life threatening for persons with food allergy, onions are naturally gluten-free therefore making it an easier meal for gluten sensitive and Celiac individuals; it is alkaline when eaten fresh which helps to reduce cancer and deadly diseases.
The eating of onions daily especially the raw onions offers lots if health benefits with its excellent loads of dietary fiber and prebiotics richness which significantly optimizes and strengthen gut health, boost immunity, reduce inflammation and enhance digestion whilst helping to keep cancer in check and under control, enhances hair and skin beauty with its vital nutrients and Vitamin C richness, assisting to boosts immunity, sex drive, controls anemia and blood sugar levels. Onions is great for eye health which aids clear vision, helping to reduce glaucoma risks, cataracts and macular degeneration, whereas onion juice extract can be used as eye-drops which is an excellent remedy in preventing the development of cornea haze.
The onions possess anti-diabetes functions hence the consumption of fresh red or purple onions containing quercetin compounds and sulfur components in daily diets help control and significantly reduce fasting blood sugar levels in people living with diabetes.
The onions antiviral and antibacterial properties help boost immunity in the human body system to prevent virus from spreading; Onions in daily meals immensely build up the human body’s immunity in order to prevent and protect against emerging diseases, the onions rich pre-biotics increases the good bacteria in the gut which help maintain a healthy and smooth functioning system in the guts.
The general symptoms of Covid-19 starts from just a simple cough, fever, chills, sore throat and headache; a viral respiratory infections that affects immune and inflammatory system, therefore it is absolutely necessary to prevent any type of viral infection through dietary modifications, lifestyle changes and remedies to boost the immune system at home that can be added in daily diets in order to both prevent and cure such a life threatening infection and provide a sustainable protection. There is a need to look into any alternative and sustainable solutions by using food as medicine because natural compounds have been used since ancient ages in controlling infectious diseases such edible plants can be used as complementary treatment for the prevention of viral infection without causing any side effects provided the intake is used in moderation. The antiviral edible plants that can help inhibits the viral replication of Covid-19 and Omicron virus includes Allium Sativum known as the Garlic and the onion bulbs, these plants consumption or ingestion can provide and help boost immunity to protect against the invading Covid-19 viruses and the new Omicron Variant which is known to attack and contract the airway thereby making breathing difficult and subsequently snuffing out oxygen and of utmost importance is that the onions and garlic cloves in daily diet fend off viruses, boost immunity, reduce inflammation, enhance digestion and strengthen gut health.
Garlic Cloves Health Benefits
Garlic cloves has been recognized globally for its potent medicinal and therapeutic properties that are amazingly effective against various infections and diseases; Garlic scientifically known as Allium Sativum contains many amazing chemical ingredients that includes about 17 amino acids, 33 OSCs, 8 minerals consisting of magnesium, potassium, calcium, selenium, germanium, copper, iron and zinc while it’s vitamins comprises of A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, D and Vitamin E including also the allinase enzymes. The garlic cloves is scientifically proven to include also about 100 organosulfur compounds with its principal compounds found in diallyl sulfide, disulfide, trisulfide, and allyl methyl Sulfide with the new found garlicnins sulfide. The daily consumption of the garlic decoction and preparation over a long period of time has been proven to lower blood pressure, control and inhibits platelet while also reducing the blood cholesterol and assisting to prevent atherosclerosis in the aorta of the heart caused by the intake of a high cholesterol inducing diets.
Garlic clove is also effective as an anti-cancer due to its potent sulfur properties that inhibits the growth of cancer tumor cell aids in blocking carcinogens binding to the human DNA whilst degrading the carcinogens; contains an effective scavenging anti-oxidative and free radicals properties. The consumption of garlic cloves helps with cardiovascular health by helping to reduce platelets clumping and clot formation thereby lowering cholesterol especially the LDL bad cholesterol, reducing also the risk of prostate and other types of cancer.
Garlic cloves greatly improves immune function with its anti-mycobacterial activities as a potent remedy against tuberculosis while helping to stimulate the macrophage cells, lymphocytes cells, dendritic cells and killer cells. Garlic has been used in central Asia for both food and traditional medicine, hitherto during World War I and II for its potent antimicrobial properties in preventing and treating gangrene.
Garlic contains the sulfur compounds known as “allicin” which can delay and also can prevent the growth of parasites especially when six (6) whole garlic cloves are swallowed one after the other on daily basis for 2 weeks; or add to favorite meals at the final stages of cooking to avoid overcooking it and destroying the active compound in the garlic cloves because it is the sulfur compound in garlic cloves that are vital for immune activities.
The garlic cloves is powerful as an antifungal and antibacterial natural agent that is effective against inflammation caused by bacterial infections, cancers and environmental exposure to airborne viruses such as covid19 and the new omicron variant. As an anti-parasitic natural remedy when dealing with worms, effective in preventing the growth of parasites when crushed and invested or chew as a daily preventive natural protection.
Garlic cloves are so essential to health and some dishes that it has been used for ages in meals and medicines; the daily addition of the garlic cloves in cooking will assist for an overall improved cardiovascular health over a long time while to quickly rid the system of flu infections simply chew or swallow whole some garlic cloves.
When suffering from sore throat, cough or cold for a fast at home remedy get some fruit juice or warm milk and about six garlic cloves then swallow whole each of the peeled garlic cloves with a glass of juice or milk; repeat the dosage for two days and the garlic cloves will work it’s magic and make the cold or sore throat to simple go away. A bulb of garlic or six cloves of garlic a day prevents and protects against deadly diseases, helping to also keep the doctor away!
The garlic clove in most folktales is believed to have the powers of protection against vampires and monsters especially when it is hung in the roof top.
Onions Adverse Effects
In as much as many lovers of onions enjoy it in meals or just as a raw vegetable in favorite delicacies, the onions also comes along with its side effects. The onions when taken as medication can lead to an increase in bleeding and can also slow down blood clotting especially during and after surgical procedures. The excess consumption or use of onions as home remedy by diabetic patients might lower blood sugar leading to harmful health risk. Onion consumption is generally safe but with caution in regards to the improper and indiscriminate use of pesticides in the onions crop consequently leaving behind pesticide residue especially when eating it raw, the presence of heavy metal enrichment on farmlands used for growing onions may induce the accumulation of such metals in the onions consequently leading to health and food safety issues; microbial decontamination of onion powder is crucial because it has been found that microbial contamination during onion sorting or slicing especially on onions workers may present major health risk and nitrate accumulation health risk must not be ignored either on the onion crops.
The environmental benefits of onion production are enormous; Energy from onion juice can enhance generation and reduce electricity costs thereby contribute to cutting down on carbon emission.
Converting onion waste to valuable energy is achieved by shredding and pressing onion waste to harvest onion juice which is subsequently turned into biogas; it then flows from the digester into a conditioning process that purifies, dehumidifies and then compress is the biogas in order to make it acceptable for use in the high efficiency fuel cells which then turned into methane of natural gas that is a high quality biogas when it is channeled into fuel cell that generate an excellent clean energy, and produce power and heat at a very high efficiency whereas the pulp residue obtained after the onion juice extraction is used as animal feeds.
The onion juice is first separated from the solid pulp which are later used as animal cattle feeds, the juice is then diluted, fed in a constant and continuous flow into the energy recovery system which is an automated digester, subsequently the use of microorganisms to generate digester gas in the digester which converts the biodegradable onion juice sugar is an ideal for methane-producing microbes in order to produce methane, carbon dioxide and a new biomass; the biogas exits the digester through a gas nozzle at the top of the digester vessel whereas excess biomass is also removed from the digester and pumped into a tanker truck.
Sustainability Of The Onions
Are onions sustainable?
The Onions as mother natures gifts is deserving of praises due to its endurance, adaptability and sustainability; naturally the onions can survive in hostile environment by protecting and preserving its succulent flesh with its pungent juices from harm with its putting off and keeping away bugs and bacteria right from its roots on the farm to fork.
Sustainable farming techniques in private and public agriculture is not only in the best interest of farmers for the production of high quality produce but for the health of the environment and a fertile land which would continue to produce increase yield and profit for farmers with enhanced quality food for generations to come; onion waste if properly harness with the right technology in the production and processing, by adapting to new ways the onions from tops to tails all through its stems will guarantee zero waste.
Onions are sustainable vegan food for meals and medicines with no adverse impacts on the environment; Onion bulbs are vegetables and going vegan will significantly reduce the consumption of animal products and byproducts; while the organic cultivation and production of onions does not affect animals in any way because it requires no chemical fertilizer, pesticides or toxic chemicals which are dangerous to animals in the wild, humans and the ecosystem by contaminating soil, water, air, and the plants that both people and animals eat, therefore onions have no destructive impacts on the earth.
Animal products and byproducts consumption are not environmentally friendly, amongst the great contributors to climate change having a dangerous impact upon the earth; the cultivation and production of the onions have very low water footprint which means that the amount of fresh water used in plant foods are low when compared with animal production, therefore lots of water are utilized for the crops animals eat whilst the animals consume more water for milk and meat supply.
The onions have low carbon footprint which means that the distance it takes from the farm to fork is low especially in terms of carbon emissions in production, processing and preservation where energy output is considered; vegan food helps to reduce green house gas emissions in transportation when locally grown produce are purchase in the neighborhood farms. The less food packaging is used the less is the carbon footprint because most often buying in community gardens requires no special packaging, costumers and consumers go grocery shopping with reusable bags or baskets. As the name implies fresh produce means as fresh as possible with out the need for the vegetables to be frozen which may contribute in increasing carbon emissions; eating seasonal food is cheaper and healthier, nature’s way of providing the right nourishing food when and where it is needed which significantly help in reducing the green house carbon emissions of foods produced off season in hothouse. Onions are grown in and around the homestead or households therefore it is the most environmentally sustainable means with a zero carbon footprint hence a health human, animal and environment.
A lot of studies has been carried out successfully using the onion wastes as a natural dye, whereas the onion skin was used to dye textile fabrics such as cottons, wools, linens and silks into beautiful colors ranging from the yellow, pink, green, red and purple without any need for the use of harsh and toxic chemicals; the onions stains can stays on forever therefore making it a fantastic natural dye for all fabric types with its subtle and superb colors without the need to use abrasive and harsh chemical in clothing materials.
The damaged or crushed onions are used as animal and bird feeds which helps in reducing water cost and feeds for sheep, rabbits, and turkeys; onions organic waste is an excellent feeds for farm animals and birds thereby removing the need to thrown away the onions that has loss its freshness, significantly cutting down on organic waste. Whereas onion leftovers, and residues such as its peels, stems and tops are never allowed to go to waste rather it is used as “onion power” to generate electricity and to save electrical costs; a process that reduces organic waste to zero whilst converting the onion waste into ultra clean energy with an emission free electricity, subsequently eliminating carbon emissions. Onion residues are a good source of fuel helping to power machineries thereby reducing cost of energy to fuel own and cottage industry. The onion juice apart from being used as a magical and healthy remedy for an overall body care it works its magic in cleaning away grime on grill, whilst giving the grilled dishes the unique aroma and taste of roasted onions.
The onions with all other Allium species in most cultures, customs and cuisines of the world are highly respected and regarded as a super-food, the best of organic vegetables all over the World irrespective of beliefs and religious inclinations. The allium-onion is an Earth-gift, food-for-all, and Cure-all that is obsessively cherished and relished as the most powerful vegetable bulb that lights up the hidden beauty of the human body, contributes to a clean environment and helps keep the Earth healthy than most food crops. Do you know your Onions?